8.11.07

An open letter to Mr. Peter Garrett

Dear Mr. Garrett.

I’m not naïve, Peter; I understand contemporary politics requires the sacrifice of one's position on many issues. I understand that, for the greater good, you may need to be silent at times when you would really prefer to speak up. Most importantly, I understand that the Kevin07.com ALP will do anything to win government, even if this means being devoid of perspectives outside of the very conservative line you need to walk as a party.

But that doesn’t mean I have to like it.

Thankfully – for the ALP – I fall into one of the marginal groups who don’t really add up at federal elections. I’m 33, childless, partnerless, mortgage-free and very small l liberal in my outlook. No political party outside of the Australian Greens cares for my opinion, and I certainly don’t want you, or the ALP, to pretend that you do. Not that there’s any risk of that happening; in fact, the federal member for Melbourne, the very brusque Lindsay Tanner, actually told me that I’m not in-line with what most Australians want. So I know very well what the ALP think of me and my kind.

C’est d’accord - I no longer care for the ALP, they lost me when they lost their voices. I do care about you, though, Peter, or more to the point about people like you who join the ALP with credentials and passion. In your case, I was excited when Latham brought you onboard. I knew you’d be somehow muzzled but I was convinced that with time you’d shine; that your worldly perspective would add an element of freshness, or – even more controversially – dissent, to the ALP.

But that just hasn’t happened. Which is not surprising, given there’s zero tolerance for alternate opinions in the ALP at the very moment and Rudd, the man who will do anything to head this wonderful nation of ours, keeps you all on a leash. While I’ve been saddened to see you sidelined it wasn’t until recently, when I read your interview with Crikey, that sadness turned to complete disillusionment. They had it right: where’s Peter?

If this interview wasn’t run past Rudd, and edited by either him or his communications director, I will butter my cap and eat it. 48 hours to reply to Crikey? Sounds about right for ALP turnaround, drafts and final inclusive. But perhaps worse than this, what if it was you that wrote this? I think that might be worse still. If this is the case it indicates that you’re actually further along the path of personality destruction than I imagined.

I loathe having to write this letter, Peter, because I expect that if you do actually read it, somewhere, deep down, it’s going to hurt that principled being we’ve all loved for so long. It hurts me, too, though because who wants to be critical of someone they’ve once admired? I just think you’re wasting time in the ALP and politics generally. You are onboard with Howard-lite, a man that has very clearly signalled a conservative agenda for this country in a time where we need real leaders and real, radical change.

I do suspect that you see a side to Rudd that inspires you, and that perhaps you really do believe in the man – it would be hard not to be caught up when you’re in the maelstrom leading towards an election. Unfortunately I just don’t believe that with all the deals Rudd is making – implied or otherwise – that he can recant and deliver a progressive agenda for this country.

We all know that if the ALP wins government they’re looking at eight years of stewardship. That must seem exciting to the ALP, but these next eight to ten years, at home and abroad, will be a period that will define us a species. We’re either going to win, and thrive, or we’re going to bury ourselves alive. I have no faith that Rudd can deliver the former and while I’m drinking desalinated sea water I will be awfully sorry to see you on the deck of the ship, mute and wasted.

I do wish you the best of luck later this year, Peter. I will continue to hope that you are able to effect change from within, or quit and do something more useful as a private citizen. Either will be just fine with me and the rest of Us.

Sincerely,

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home