7.1.05

the stuff of success

The reason my past experiences in blogging have not succeeded, I believe, is simply because it can be a lonely pursuit and that when that is the case, eventually, the returning silence drowns you. You're one of millions in a world where everyone wants to be heard, and you're no more special than the next. The chances of you pulling in a regular crowd lessen as each day passes by and Blogger signs up another thousand.

Many writers jump up and down and state that it doesn't matter whether you are heard, that the blog is for you only, but surely this is just plain bullshit. Why are you writing online if not to be listened to? - to try and draw in a like mind and empathise for even but a brief moment. This is why we do it.

This blog, like all the others I have written over the many years I have been doing this, is potentially doomed for the lack of the above - the empathetic reader. The moment I get that sense I am sitting alone in a field of grass that extends in all directions as far as the eye can see my brain will switch off and so will this. The question is perhaps whether that is more healthy than flogging away in the hope someone will come to love you and revere every line that spurts from your qwerty.

Given the nature of this medium and how it propogates you may well be a blogger, just like me, or you are at least considering it, so this post is aimed partially at you. Why do you read what you do? Do you stick with something for the long term or move on quickly? How many blogs do you read on a daily basis? Are you addicted? Do you ever contact the people whose work you read?

I'm not asking these questions for a response, I really don't have time to return anyway, but I guess I am pro-introspection, and particularly so when it comes to a medium that is so raw and telling. At the moment I myself wonder why I can't stick with any given blog for more than a year, why most blogs get 1, maybe 2, reads from me before I never return, and why for the last couple of months I seem to be riveted to the hapless exploits of very funny gay bloggers when I myself am an intense, driven straight man.

Ask yourself some questions. Don't lose sleep over it, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home