11.1.05

being everywhere at the same time

Webcams that beam realtime images from locations around the world often bring about feelings of great sadness in me. Sadness because I want to be here, there and everywhere else, NOW.

This is an, at best, ridiculous and, at worst, grossly unfair response to have when one considers that with continued good fortune, and the world remaining in a reasonable state of balance, I will get to wherever I want to at some point in my life.

I am in command of good health, have no disabilities, a sound brain and the means to eventually get to the places I would like and then accommodate myself in a fashion which is agreeable to me. To be unjustifiably sad, when so many simply do not have these opportunities, where they may lack just one of the attributes I have described above and because of it will struggle to fulfill such ambition, is, I believe, typical of a selfish, privileged, contemporary Westerner, and I want to shrug it.

Ergo, as each day goes by I try to become more aware of my place in the world, and how I have a responsibility to be a contributor, not a user. I have always liked to think of myself as a contributor, and actions have been taken, always, to go some way to justifying that claim, but clearly I have some distance to cover.

Thankfully the company will be putting me on a plane sometime soon. Nothing like a Melbourne > Los Angeles > Melbourne haul to nip that travel bug in the ass for a while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home